Doin' It Ourselves

Monday, August 2, 2010

Did Someone Change My Calendar Early?

I know we're all asking it but really, where did the summer go? Just yesterday I had a grand plan for these few months between seasons, full of promise for bigger-better-bolder! Now, it's August 2nd and my day is so full trying to get ready for the gala at work, the season opener, and make steady progress on projects at home that I'm planning out my day, as opposed to just making a to-do list and going forth. I suppose that might make me a bit OCD but, hey, whatever gets the job done, right?

Yes, this is my daily planner, not just a one-off for a busy day. I created it, printed it, and live by it. Everything goes in it: family events, project notes, food charts, funny quotes, flylady lists, so forth and so on. There's a pocket in front for cards and other loose ephemera. 3 (count 'em: 3!) different calendars: a quick yearly glance (useful for planning vacations around shows), a monthly block-style as dividers (you can just see the blue tabs at left), and then these daily pages.

Obviously, I work in pencil.

I may have a slight calendar obsession. Is that bad?

In other craziness: if I ever say "oh, I'll just make the pasta from scratch!" someone please bean me upside the head with a pasta machine. I made lasagna from scratch today. Literally: pasta, sauce, cheese. Well, I didn't grow the spinach but... no Stouffer's grodiness here (not that I don't eat the frozen take-n-bake kind when offered it elsewhere but I wouldn't be Foodie Mama if I did that at home, now would I?). And we can't afford to run to the store and buy noodles but I still had 00 flour on hand and had eggs from the farmer's market on Saturday... and time, although I had forgotten how freakin' long the process takes. That's where today really got thrown off: I never remember how long it takes to make pasta from scratch. Luckily, I did remember that the egg was going to go everywhere when trying to incorporate it into the flour, so I was prepared for that and kept it together. And lasagna, like most pasta dishes, is one of those easily-forgiving things that you can just lump some stuff in the dish, throw it in the oven, and it'll pretty much turn out edible. I had leftover meatball meat from making meatballs over the weekend (again, from scratch. I'm a glutton for punishment) for the sauce, plus a huge block of mozzarella (not the good stuff but it was on sale) and a frozen package of spinach so it turned out quite tasty. I love spinach in my lasagna. In fact, the best lasagna that I've ever made was a spinach/portebello mix that was completely vegetarian and to die for.

Of course, pounds of cheese make most anything tasty.

This picture is NOT my homemade lasagna, but rather an old recipe called "Johnnie Marzetti". "Spelling varies according to locale, but it is the same hearty, flavorful, economical dish no matter how you spell it." From the Southern Heritage 'Beef, Veal, and Lamb' cookbook (more on the set in a later post). It's not quick since you have to chop, brown, and simmer and then bake it all for 20 minutes, but it hella cheap and makes a ton. Be prepared to eat on it for lunch for days.

Which in this economy is a pretty good idea.

Johnnie Marzetti

1 pound ground chuck
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
1 medium-size green pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup butter
1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
1 Cup water
1/4 teaspoon basil leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
2 (5-oz) packages wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
1.5 cups soft bread crumbs
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

Saute meat, celery, onion and green pepper in butter in a large skilled over low heat until meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain off pan drippings. Add tomato paste, water, basil, salt, pepper and bay leaf; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf and discard. Place cooked noodles in a lightly greased 2.5 quart shallow baking dish. Spoon meat mixture over noodles; sprinkle breadcrumbs and cheese over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 20 minutes or until cheese melts. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment